Things are
looking up! A few weeks ago, the
consulting cardiologist that the Peace Corps selected to evaluate my condition
completed his work. In addition to his
medical report of my condition he provided a letter to me and to my medical
file that in part stated “…he (Howard) can return to Uganda as a Peace Corps
volunteer without restriction.” Of
course, the consultant can only offer his medical opinion, the Peace Corps
medical and administrative staffs are the decision makers as to my reinstatement. However, the cardiologist’s endorsement was
my first step in the process. I have
submitted an official request to the Peace Corps for reinstatement.
On last
Thursday, Peace Corps staff informed me they would begin evaluation of my medical
qualifications for reinstatement during the week of June 10. I am optimistic about returning to Uganda and I
sense enthusiasm for my reinstatement. Recently my cardiologist measured my blood
pressure at 107/68 with a pulse of 58 versus the 150/90 recorded in South Africa. I have been walking 20 miles every other day
to try to maintain my weight. I have had
minimal success on weight loss but I do feel better after the walks. About 12 days ago I had to stop walking
because I developed bursitis in one ankle and exacerbated tendonitis in the
other ankle. The first car I ever owned
was a 1961 Chevy Belair purchased in 1971.
I spent the next three years repairing it. Sometimes I feel like my Chevy Belair. Always something…
But better than the 1978 Ford Fairlane or whatever it was -- the car with the rag where the the gas cap should have been -- that you drove when we first met back in Columbus, OH. At least
ReplyDeleteYou are so right! I laughed very loud when i readd your post. I hade forgotten all about that car. It was ford Granada and you are right. I had a rag in the gas tank in leiu of a cap. Great to hear from you.
Delete