| School where I take my language lessons. |
| View of classroom where I take my language lessons. (front) |
| My tutor Lydia. |
I have included pictures of the school grounds and the classroom where I have my lessons. By US standards, the schools lack books, technology, and infrastructure. A number of schools were forced to close because the schools lacked functioning pit latrines. Imagine schools without toilets! A Peace Corps colleague teaches at a nursing school. The students have their first exposure to computers in nursing school where they learn how to turn it on, and navigate through Word and Excel.
Teachers earn very little in Uganda . It is usually the last job one will take because the pay is so low. For many Ugandans only complete unemployment is worst. This year, to add insult to injury the teachers did not receive their pay in December or January and likely will not receive any pay before March. A computer error removed nearly all teachers from the payroll system. They now must complete and submit paperwork to be re-entered into the system and paid. Ugandans celebrate Christmas much like Americans, with gift giving, toys for the kids and visits to home for family gatherings. Thus, the lack of pay could not come at a worse time.
Families are responsible to pay school fees each year. I recently had a conversation with a young man about 20 to 25 years of age. He is a ‘plant manager’ at a local dairy collection and cooling station. (Uganda law requires milk be cooled shortly being drawn from the cow.) Like many conversations I have here, he wanted money. In his case, he wanted me to give him the money to pay school fees so he could complete what we would call high school. He told me it would require UGS 1,200,000. (~ $480 US) Before I joined the Peace Corps, I decided I would limit my assistance to what I could do as a volunteer and would not become a funding source to fix people’s problems. I declined to give him money. I did brainstorm with him to identify strategies he might employ to complete his two years of schooling. We did some simple calculations based on what he said he had already saved and projected how long it might take him to accumulate the funds necessary to finish school. If his inputs were accurate, he can have enough money in two years, even if his income falls by half. I shared some budgeting concepts and principles with him and provided specific steps to take in creating a budget. I asked him to stay in contact and let me know how things progress. We will see what happens.
His reaction to the calculations for the projection was interesting. He quickly grasped the calculations and understood what I was doing but it was as if he had never thought of doing such a thing. His facial expression was one of both surprise and hope. I hope he also had the feeling of having some measure of control over his life. I will call him in two or three weeks to see what he has done and offer encouragement.
This weekend I saw another illustration of how desperate some Ugandans are to pay school fees. In the space of 24 hours, two female university students approached me about school fees. In both cases, it was clear that sexual favors would be forthcoming if I contributed.
Good to see another post from you. Keep them coming.
ReplyDelete